House Rent Allowance as per Census 2011 to Railway Employees – Orders issued
GOVERNMENT OF INDIA
MINISTRY OF RAILWAYS
New Delhi, dated 24-09-2015
No. E(P&A) II-2015/HRA-7
The General Managers/CAOs,
All Indian Railways & Prod. Units etc.
Sub: Re-classification of cities/towns on the basis of 2011 Census grant of House Rent Allowance to Railway Employees.
Attention is invited to Boards letter No. E(P&A)II-2008/HRA-10 dated 12-09-2008 relating to grant ofHouse Rent Allowance (HRA) to Railway employees on the recommendations of the Sixth Central Pay Commission whereby a list of cities/towns classified as X, Y and Z for the purpose of grant of HRA was enclosed as Annexure. The matter relating to re-classification of cities/towns on the basis of Census-2011 forthe purpose of grant of HRA to Central Government employees has been considered by the Government.
2. The President is pleased to decide that in supersession of all the existing orders relating to classification of cities/towns for the purposes of grant of HRA to Railway employees, cities/towns shall now be re-classified as X, Y and Z for the purpose of HRA as enumerated in the Annexure to these orders
3. Consequent upon implementation of the recommendations of the 5th Central Pay Commission, certain cities/towns were placed in a lower classification as compared to their existing classification for CCA/HRA purpose, vide Boards letter No.PC-V/97/I/7/13 dated 16.10.1997. However, these cities/towns were allowed to retain their existing higher classification, vide para 3 thereof; and further extended vide Boards letter No.E(P&A)II-2004/HRA-16 dated 17.05.2005 & Boards letter No. E(P&A)II-2008/HRA-10 dated 20.03.2009. As other cities/towns to which protection of retaining earlier higher classification was allowed, got upgraded during the intervening period, as on date only two cities i.e. Ajmer in Rajasthan and Durgapur in West Bengal were retaining such protection. Consequent upon upgradation of these two cities also on the basis of their population as per Census-2011, provisions contained in Para 3, of vide Boards letter No. PC-V/97/I/7/13 dated 16.10.1997 which were allowed to further continue vide Boards letter No. E(P&A)II-2004/HRA-16 dated 17.05.2005 & Boards letter No. E(P&A)II-2008/HRA-10 dated 20.03.2009 stand withdrawn/ discontinued.
4. Special orders allowing continuance of HRA (a) at Delhi (“X” class city) rates to Railway employees posted at Faridabad, Ghaziabad, NOIDA, Gurgaon and (b) at Jalandhar (“Y” class city) rates to Jalandhar Cantt. and (c) at “Y” class city rates to Shillong, Goa, Port Blair vide Boards letter No.E(P&A)Il-2008/HRA-10 dated 12.09.2008 and (d) continuance of HRA at par with Chandigarh (“Y” class city) to Panchkula vide Boards letter No.E(P&A)II-2008/HRA-10 dated 16.05.2011, shall continue to be applicable till the recommendations of 7th CPC are considered by the Government
5. These orders shall be effective from 01.04.2015
6. This issues with the concurrence of the Finance Directorate of the Ministry of Railways.
( Salim Md. Ahmad )
To Board’s letter no.E(P&A)II-2015/HRA-7
LIST OF CITIES/TOWNS CLASSIFIED FOR GRANT OF HOUSE RENT ALLOWANCE TO RAILWAY EMPLOYEES
|SI.No||STATES/UNION TERRITORIS||CITIES CLASSIFIED||CITIES CLASSFIED|
|AS “X”||AS “Y”|
|1||ANDAMAN & NICOBAR ISLANDS|
|2||ANDHRA PRADESH/TELANGANA||Hyderabad (UA)||Vijayawada (UV), Warangal (UA), Greater Visakhapatnam (M.Corpn.), Guntur (UA), Nellore (UA)|
|7||CHATTISGARH||Durg-Bhilai Nagar (UA), Raipur (UA)|
|8||DADRA & NAGARHAVELI|
|9||DAMAN & DIU|
|12||GUJARAT||Ahmadabad (UA)||Rajkot (UA), Jamnagar (UA), Bhavnagar (UA), Vadodara (UA), Surat (UA)|
|13||HARYANA||Faridabad* (M.Corpn.) Gurgaon*(UA)|
|15||JAMMU & KASHMIR||Srinagar (UA), Jammu(UA)|
|16||JHARKHAND||Jamshedpur (UA), Dhanbad (UA), Ranchi (UA), Bokaro Steel City (UA).|
|17||KARNATAKA||Bangalore/Bengaluru (UA)||Belgaum (UA), Hubli-Dharwad (M.Corpn.),Mangalore (UA), Mysore (UA), Gulbarga (UA)|
|18||KERALA||Kozhikoda (UA), Kochi (UA), Thiruvanathapuram (UA), Thrissur (UA), Malappuram (UA), Kannur (UA), Kollam (UA)|
|20||MADHYAPRADESH||Gwalior (UA), Indore(UA), Bhopal (UA), Jabaipur (UA), Ujjain (M.Corpn).|
|21||MAHARASHTRA||Greater Mumbai (UA), Pune (UA)||Amravati (M.corpn.), Nagpur (UA), Aurangabad (UA), Nashik (UA), Bhiwandi (UA), Solapur (M.Corpn.) Kolhapur (UA), Vasaivirar city (M.Corpn.), Malegaon (UA), Nandad-Waghala (M.Corpn.), Sangli (UA).|
|26||ODISH||Cuttack (UA), Bhubaneswar (UA), Raurkela (UA),|
|27||PUDUCHERRY (PONDICHERRY)||Puducherry/Pondicherry (UA)|
|28||PUNJAB||Amritsar (UA), Jalandhar (UA), Ludhiana (M.Coprn).|
|29||RAJASTHAN||Bikaner (M.Corpn.), Jaipur (M.Corpn.) Jodhpur (UA), Kota (M.corpn.), Ajmer (UA)|
|31||TAMIL NADU||Chennai (UA)||Salem (UA), Tiruppur (UA), Coimbatore (UA), Tiruchirappalli (UA), Madurai (UA), Erode (UA).|
|33||UTTAR PRADESH||Moradabad (M.corpn.), Meerut (UA), Ghaziabad* (UA), Aligarh (UA), Agra (UA), Barcilly (UA), Lucknow (UA), Kanpur (UA), Allahabad (UA), Gorakhpur (UA), Varanasi (UA), Saharanpur (M.Corpn.), Noida* (CT), Firozabad (NPP), Jhansi (UA),|
|35||WEST BENGAL||Kolkatta(UA)||Asansol (UA), Siliguri (UA), Durgapur(UA)|
*Only for the purpose of extending HRA on the basis of dependency.
Note: The remaining cities/towns in various States/UTs which are not covered by classification as “X” or “Y” are classified as “Z” for the purpose of HRA.