Levy of Krishi Kalyan Cess on the service tax leviable on transportation of passengers by rail
Commercial Circulars No. 32 of 2015 dated 26.05.2015 & 68 of 2015 dated 13.11.2015
Ministry of Finance Notification No. 29/2016 – Service Tax dated 26.05.2016.
Ministry of Finance vide their Notification No. 29/2016- Service Tax dated 26.05.2016 have decided vide their Notification No. 39/2012- Service Tax, dated the 20th June, 2012, published in the Gazette of India, Extraordinary, vide number G.S.R. 481E, dated 20th June, 2012 in Explanation 1, after clause (d), the following clause shall be inserted, namely:- “(e) Krishi Kalyan Cess as levied under sub-section (2) of selection 161 of the Finance Act, 2016 (28 of 2016)” Krishi Kalyan Cess @ 0.5% shall be levied on the value of all taxable services w.e.f. 01-06-2016.
2. Accordingly, following changes shall be made in the Commercial Circular No. 68 of 2015 dated 13-11-2015:-
“Service tax of 14%, Swachh Bharat Cess of 0.5% and Krishi Kalyan Cess of 0.5% are chargeable on 30% of total passenger fare equivalent to 4.50% of the total fare in first class and all AC classes”.
3. The increase in service tax shall be applicable w.e.f. 01-06-2016 on the tickets issued/booking made on or after 01-06-2016. Service Tax increase is not leviable on tickets issued prior to 01-06-2016.
4. CRIS may make necessary changes in the software to reflect the different elements of Service Tax correctly and separately.
5. Other terms and conditions shall remain the same as per various circulars/notifications issued on this subject.
6. This issues with the concurrence of Finance Directorate of Ministry of Railways.
7. Necessary instructions shall be issued to the all concerned.
Indian Railways issued orders regarding the above subject on 07.01.2016